Today I had one of those days that makes you so proud and inspired. It makes feel insured that I am doing something that I love and something that I will always be grateful to do.
In small group today with my first graders I read aloud, A Color of His Own. Many of you may know it as a classic children's book. With the read aloud I had prepared for the students to do a scavenger hunt on paper to find words, meaning, and a personal connection with the story. After reading the story I asked the group what they thought the lesson or "moral" of the story was. One of my students raised his hand and said, "the chameleon just wanted to belong and be like everyone else, but I think its special to be different." Other students chimed in and began discussing their own takes on the story. As I looked around the group I found one of my students to be crying. What surprised me was that she was sitting next to a student who she constantly had confrontations with and he was gently rubbing her back reassuring her that everything was "OK." I interrupted the students discussion to find out what had happened (I hate to admit it but I had assumed this boy had once again upset or said something hurtful to the girl). It turns out that the girl was overcome with emotion when she told the group that she cries at night sometimes because she wishes she was "white" and that she thinks her skin is "too dark." As she said this tears began to fill my own eyes. Before I had a chance to respond the other first graders reacted with such tact and comfort that I decided to sit back and let them continue to discuss the issue at hand without my direction or help. The whole group began to comfort the girl. They filled her with compliments and told their own stories of insecurities. What helped end her sadness was when a typically quiet and shy student chimed in and reassured her that "everyone was made different because different is beautiful."
This conversation needed little help from me. It was amazing to witness. I didn't care one bit that we didn't get the scavenger hunt done. In fact we sat there in group all the way up until lunch time talking. In the end we got off topic but it didn't matter. They learned more through that conversation than any activity could have taught them. I wish others could have witnessed what I did. It was one of those moments that tells me I am meant to be doing this. I couldn't have been more proud of them!
So here I am creating this blog because I am worried that one day I might turn into one of those teachers that yells and complains about their student or their job. I want to be able to remember these moments that make it all worth it. I look forward to filling this blog with more stories and moments from inside my classroom as I grow as a teacher and I learn from my students.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment